Biosample Lab Associate
San Mateo Metro Area, CA
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Receives study samples via the receiving dept. and/or couriers into BRM Operations, including unpacking and checking of received samples.
- Performs inventory of inbound shipments, logs samples into sample management databases and manages sample discrepancies as necessary, with support from BRM Project Support.
- Ensures that samples are managed and stored according to protocol requirements and BRM Operations best practices.
- Sets-up and prepares outbound shipping requests and related documents within agreed timelines, packs samples for dispatch according to the applicable transport regulations.
- Organizes and tracks sample shipments to internal and external analytical laboratories, arranges for appropriate transport, liaises with Couriers or local shipping department, as appropriate.
- Destroys samples in accordance with applicable guidelines on request.
- Follows appropriate GCP lab guidelines
- Works in accordance with all applicable Controlled Documents (e.g. SOPs, Working Instructions, Working Documents), as appropriate, to complete sample handling & processing activities and according to local health and safety rules
- Maintains a neat working environment in laboratory work areas.
- Completes, files, and archives all relevant study documentation according to the applicable controlled documents
- Ensures that the BRM sample management databases are maintained up to date and are in accordance with the completed study activities and sample status
- Liaises with Project Support, as needed, to provide status updates on study related activities to BRM customers
- Coordinates with other BRM Operations staff on study related issues.
- Escalates issues to local supervisor or Sr. BLA as appropriate, to obtain guidance and direction.
- Supports the Lab Head and the Biosample Operations Lab Supervisor in implementing new processes, systems and SOPs/guidance.
- Monitors freezers (e.g. temperature monitoring, issue logs, maintenance, freezer space & organization etc.)
- Provides administrative support to the functioning of the lab, as appropriate (use of ordering system, manage consumables, maintain inventory lists etc.)
Experience, Skills, Knowledge
- Demonstrated experience working in a laboratory managing clinical or non-clinical samples
- Experience in utilizing a variety of analytical platforms and instrumentation
- Proficiency with PC computer systems, including email and calendar applications and MS Office.Good organizational, multitasking, and prioritization skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Requires attention to detail, and accuracy in data entry, while maintaining study timelines.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills, paired with partnering and performance skills.
- Team player with demonstrated good interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships within functional area.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to tight timelines
- Customer orientated mind-set
- Good level of initiative and the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Computer skills in laboratory informatics systems and data processing
- Experience working in multi-cultural teams
Minimum: Associate Degree in science or equivalent recognized qualification and/or 1-2 years of experience in similar sample handling and processing laboratory environment.
Preferred: BS with at least 3 years of experience in molecular biology technics applied in a pharmaceutical/biotech company