San Jose Metro Area, CA
As a technical writer, you will be responsible for helping build some of the first external-facing documentation for our company. This will include writing our first technical user manual, along with easy-to-understand guides to help on-board partners and third-parties.
You will work with engineering, partnerships, legal and safety to determine which features need documentation. You will then work independently to investigate code, tools and APIs, create document plans, write developer guides and maintain engineering and partner documentation.
You might have a background as a developer and have a passion for teaching others through written communication; or you're a seasoned communicator with experience in C++ and Python. One thing is for sure: you love to investigate new technology and make complex things easy to understand.
Top 3 daily Responsibilities:
- Build a technical user manual from the ground up in collaboration with safety, legal, partnerships & engineering teams.
- Refine spec sheet, onboarding guides and API reference docs for partners.
- Draft technical website copy and FAQs in collaboration with engineering and marketing.
- Edit, clarify, and proofread guides written by engineers, and coach non-writers on ways to improve their writing skills.
- Organize, manage and iterate complex documentation.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience, such as technical writing, product documentation, with a special focus on writing for engineers.
- Ability to read and draft sample code written in C++ and Python.Proven record of writing accurate, clear, and concise documentation.
- Self-starter with a passion for start-up environments and experience creating documentation from the ground up, from concept to planning to execution.
- Proficiency in Linux systems.
- Direct experience writing and editing technical user manuals.
- Experience writing technical documentation for both hardware and software products.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.