Sr. Research Associate
San Diego Metro Area, CA
Structural and chemical biology
A highly talented and motivated protein chemist/biochemist/structural biologist is sought to assist the structural biology team with assay development, purification and crystallization of challenging protein samples. The successful candidate will work within various discovery project teams and will have the opportunity to work on a state-of-the-art drug discovery environment, where discoveries can be immediately translated to treatments for serious diseases.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Independently design expression constructs and purify protein samples for crystallography and assays
2. Design and develop biochemical and biophysical assays to characterize protein complexes
3. Analyze, document and present data in an organized and timely manner
4. Work with other members of the structural biology team to obtain diffracting crystals for multiple projects to support SAR studies
5. Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic team environment; flexibility to adapt to changes with a positive attitude
1. Excellent protein purification skills and knowledge of all techniques required to deliver high quality protein samples suitable for crystallization experiments
2. Excellent protein purification troubleshooting skills to purify challenging/novel targets
3. Characterization of protein samples in complex with small molecules and other protein partners
4. Knowledge or experience with biochemical assays (cell based assay experience is advantageous)
5. Experience with macromolecular crystallization and X-ray crystallography is advantageous
6. Knowledge or experience with X-ray crystallography data collection and analysis is desirable but not required
7. Experience with membrane protein purification and LCP crystallization is desirable but not required
8. Cryo EM experience is desirable but not required
9. Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills are required
Expert knowledge & demonstration of technical field.
Generally independent in carrying out laboratory operations.
Solid understanding of relevant scientific principals.
Viewed as technically experienced and valued resource within department.
Able to identify scientific and technical problems and potential solutions.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Execute experiments independently.
Interpret and discuss data.
Familiar with literature.
Role models for other scientists.
Communicate via meetings and reports.
Responsible for the completion of assignments that have an impact on functional goals.
Able to coordinate CRO services.
Viewed as an experienced resource within their department.
Provides input into experimental designs.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
Improves efficiency and productivity within group or project.
Understands departmental goals and development processes.
Able to more fully interpret results and situations independently and articulate recommendations for resolution with strong scientific arguments.
Recognizes risks and develops contingency plans.
Teamwork and Influence:
Communicates with peers and supervisors.
Begin to contribute to the achievement of workgroup/team goals.
Key contributor to collaborative efforts.
Has a direct impact on department sub team or project team performance.
Impact is achieved by helping lead workgroup(s).
Acts with integrity Analysis of issues
Building relationships Coaching and developing others
Delivers presentations Develops systems & process
Fosters open communication Influence others
Innovates Manages execution
Planning Use sound judgment
The position requires a bachelor s degree in scientific discipline and 8+ years of laboratory experience or a Master degree with at least 4 years of experience.