Senior Specialist, EHS
Newark Metro Area, NJ
The Sr Specialist, EHS for NJ sites will report directly to the Associate Director, EHS. This position is responsible for leading, developing and implementing EHS programs and will direct EHS at NJ, providing general direction and review in various functional areas, groups, and/or operations as requested, in order to address compliance issues and implement best practices as required. The position will review key EHS processes (including but not limited to environmental compliance, workplace safety and potential exposure, employee training, chemical and biological waste disposal, EHS program reviews, and inspections, etc.) for consistency and adherence to occupational health and safety laws, regulations, standards and ordinances in which we do business.
1. Integration of Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) objectives and targets into business strategies and plans.
2. Development and implementation EHS best practices/processes, review and approval with input from business functions and site leadership. These best practices/processes should include, but are not limited to: risk reduction, incident management, exposure assessment strategies, minimization of potential workplace exposures including ergonomics and EHS related training.
3. Develop, implement and maintain workflows/processes for the key EHS systems.
4. Evaluate and monitor key EHS Metrics and issues and provide gap analysis to manage environmental, health and safety matters to ensure that we meet or exceeds legislative, corporate and industry requirements, as well as best practice standards.
5. Create proactive approach to EHS through cross functional co-operation, communications and training.
6. Identify corrective actions arising from gap analysis to bring the Corporation into compliance with applicable codes, laws, regulations and standards and explain these measures to others.
7. Recommend measures to industrial hygienists and management to ensure maximum employee protection.
8. Participate in educational meetings to instruct employees in matters pertaining to occupational health and prevention of accidents.
9. Conduct a variety of safety inspections in the workplace and effectively communicate the findings.
10. Document inspection/audit files, describe hazards in detail.
11. Minimize occupational health and safety risks throughout the organization by promoting an occupational health and safety awareness campaign to employees.
12. Analyze work processes and conditions, identifying and eliminating/controlling safety and occupational health hazards.
13. Evaluate/review hazardous material management, hazardous waste management and emergency procedures, including Business Continuity Planning.
14. Keep abreast of changes in relevant technology and best practices and look for opportunities to apply such changes within the organization.
15. Participate in site inspections and audits and correspond with regulatory agencies.
16. Supervise OSHA and EPA environmental regulatory compliance and security standards in the storage of chemicals and waste
17. Assist and perform investigations of workplace incidents, conduct cause analysis, and take appropriate corrective action, and follow up to verify incident is truly closed.
18. Expand and strengthen the culture of safety with employee involvement and responsible EH&S behavior with positive reinforcement, communication and real repercussions for flagrant disregard of EHS procedures and best practices.
19. Assist with mitigation of EHS, Laboratory Services issues related to expansion.
20. Assist the Associate Director of Environmental Health and Safety as required
21. Survey properties that store, handle, and use hazardous materials to ensure compliance with laws, codes, and regulations.
22. Must have strong interpersonal skills, be a team player and be willing to work in an environment where individual initiative and accountability to the team are required
23. Other duties related to the above
24. Maintain all sites environmental permits - Applications for new environmental permits, including document preparation, submission and monitoring.
25. Ability to lead EHS training sessions in conjunction with compliance schedule, in addition to providing topic guidance to laboratory supervision.
26. Hazardous material management, hazardous waste management and emergency procedures.
27. Supervise the completion of wastewater and hazardous waste regulatory compliance reports and inspections to stay compliant with permit specifications and regulatory requirements.
28. Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate complicated regulatory change effectively to all levels of the organization
29. Protecting and improve of the company's image as an environmental steward through internal and external activities
Must have 10+ years experience in EHS systems and manufacturing, pharmaceutical company or other related industry, general management
Must have worked in a GMP environment
Must have solid knowledge of Environmental, Safety, Product Safety, Industrial Hygiene, and Emergency Response best practices with regard to manufacturing and R&D environments
Entrepreneurial and passionate about work and opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of the company
Must have a good knowledge of regional EHS regulations and best practices
Strategic orientation and possess sound judgment
Use of logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problem solving
Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust, confidence and ability to manage client expectations
Excellent presentation skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to effectively and succinctly communicate to audience
Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures and strategies to promote effective local, state or federal environmental health and safety operations for the protection of people, property and the environment.
Knowledge of Environmental regulations related to Manufacturing and R&D
Environmental, Safety and Industrial Hygiene expertise and experience
Proficiency with NJDEP Air Quality Pollution Prevention (AQPP) web based applications in air permitting
Technical and Organization skills
Strong technical knowledge and proficiency with chemical inventory database systems
Personnel know-how and change leader/motivator
Must be able to work with limited day-to-day supervision and be a motivated self-starter
Proficient in DOT and EPA regulations for the transport and storage of chemical products
Good accident/incident investigative interview and listening skills
Use of scientific rules and methods to solve problems
Use of logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses if alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problem solving
Use of mathematics to solve problems
Strong computer skills including word processing, presentations, spreadsheets and research
Ability to analyze work processes and conditions, identifying and eliminating/controlling safety and occupational health hazards
Knowledge of OSHA standards relating to construction and general industry.