Senior Research Associate/Associate Scientist
San Diego Metro Area, CA
The Solid Tumor Group in the Protein Homeostasis Thematic Center of Excellence (PH TCoE) focuses on delivering novel cancer therapeutics by engaging E3 ubiquitin ligases for targeted protein degradation. We are seeking a motivated Senior Research Associate/Associate Scientist with strong tissue culture and molecular biology experience preferably in drug discovery. The successful candidate will work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment to 1) execute cellular assays to support discovery of small molecules as clinical development candidates; and 2) execute molecular biology studies that further our understanding of the mechanisms of novel compounds. Responsibilities include maintaining patient derived cell lines in addition to conducting cell assays working with novel and standard of care compounds. Performing molecular biology assays investigating gene and protein expression and modulation. The successful candidate will work within discovery project teams and with other scientists across different functional areas and may be expected present results to the group.
The PH TCoE is one of the fundamental research and early development engines delivering therapeutics to patients. As a thematic center, the PH TCoE is agnostic to therapeutic modality or disease area. The group integrates discovery research through translational and early clinical development and focuses on numerous aspects of protein homeostasis including the ubiquitin-proteasome system, protein translation, and RNA processing and stability. This thematic focus allows the group to capitalize on the cutting edge science that underpins the action of the company s most advanced drugs. Not being bound by disease area or therapeutic modality creates a very dynamic, exciting and creative environment that exploits excellent science in biology, biochemistry, structural biology, computational biology and translational development.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
1. Execute relevant cell based assays to support identification, optimization, and characterization of novel chemical matter
2. Conduct essential experiments in cell biology, molecular biology, and assay development.
3. Analyze and present data in an organized and timely manner
4. Work within and support biology needs for drug discovery teams
1. Minimum Bachelor's degree with 5 years or Master's with 3 years industry experience in molecular and cell biology required. Manager not interested in PhD candidates.
2. Previous hands-on experience in mammalian cell culture is required. Various molecular and cellular technologies including, but not limited to, quantitative PCR, protein assays (western, ELISA) is strongly desired. Lenti virus experience and manipulation/editing of gene/message/protein via RNAi and/or CRISPR methods is a plus.
3. Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills are required.
4. Data analysis skills and experience with a variety of scientific software applications are required.
5. Capability to stay focused and deliver high quality data in a timely and well organized manner.
6. Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic team environment; flexibility to adapt to changes with a positive attitude.