Senior Manager, R&D Procurement
Edison-New Brunswick Metro Area, NJ
Solid experience (a) sitting/working closely with the study teams (b) supporting the clinical services procurement process end to end and (c) managing 30 studies at the same time (mix of active, in maintenance, financial reconciliation)
The Senior Manager, R&D Procurement - Clinical Services will actively support the development and implementation of strategies for the company clinical services sourcing categories. In doing so, the Manager, R&D Procurement - Clinical Services works closely with company s Legal, Global Brands R&D (including Clinical Development, Clinical Operations, and the Chief Medical Officer organizations), Finance, and Global Procurement teams to ensure these strategies and their related implementation plans are managed proactively and through cross-functional teams. This position will work closely with managers and leaders across company therapeutic areas. In collaboration with these teams, the Senior Manager, R&D Procurement Clinical Services is responsible for:
- Strategic Sourcing: Actively contribute to the development and implementation of sourcing strategies for R&D clinical services. Lead and support the supplier selection process, including the selection of transactional and preferred vendors, for designated studies, programs and/or services. This includes supporting clinical teams and key internal stakeholders with the development of specifications and criteria for outsourced services, evaluation of suppliers, and the management of selected suppliers. Proactively support supplier management activities such as issue resolution, performance trending, and supplier governance where appropriate, including managing an interactive lessons learned session and process improvements.
- Achieve Significant Synergies and Cost Savings: Proactively support clinical services category assessment teams to ensure that all potential opportunities for operational, quality, and financial synergies are identified, tracked, and implemented. Ensure that cost savings are achieved whenever possible without placing risk on the company s quality, operational, timeline, and projected revenue requirements. Ensure the communication and alignment of these synergy and savings targets across business partners and organizational leaders to provide consistency of message and approach.
- Contract Management: Develop and foster relationships with preferred/alliance suppliers to ensure clear communication, create an environment of partnership, and agreed-to contractually committed levels of service, quality, delivery, and cost. Collaborate and support in the development and implementation of multi-year strategies to align company s most significant clinical suppliers with the company global clinical development plans.
- Requirement Definitions: Proactively work with business partners to identify sourcing and contracting requirements in advance of supplier communications to ensure clear specifications, requirements, and alignment across the company team prior to initiating requests or agreements with suppliers. Periodically review and update the specifications documents to ensure that the changes to study requirements are being monitored and captured for clinical services.
- Request Proposals: Follow a high-quality, consistent, expeditious and effective process to ensure that the proper sources of supply are evaluated and selected to support the business need. Prepare, finalize, and distribute requests for proposal to suppliers with a team of internal stakeholders. Manage the receipt and internal distribution of supplier responses and, as appropriate, review proposals, conduct bid evaluation analyses, coordinate bid defenses with the supplier and company teams, compile selection criteria/requirements, and facilitate decision-making process to ensure objectivity and adherence to selection criteria while meeting the team s timelines. Provide ad hoc sourcing and analytical support for projects managed by the Director, R&D Procurement - Clinical Services or peers in the R&D Procurement team.
- Negotiate Agreements: Negotiate master services, confidentiality, service standards, and other supplier agreements based on company templates and with the support of company functional and legal teams to ensure high quality, provide clarity, obtain competitive costs, document timelines, and mitigate risk. Ensure that the negotiations meet the cost savings and synergy targets. Interact with the Legal, Finance, and other departments, as needed, to ensure cross departmental alignment with respect to processes and policies for contract development, approval, execution, and management. Act as the central point of contact through execution of agreements. Manage changes in contract scope, change orders, and amendments to ensure accurate and timely revisions to terms and/or services.
- Category Profile and Maintenance: Document and maintain a comprehensive category profile for the R&D/Clinical services category. Manage the contract life-cycle for the preferred suppliers classified under each category (e.g. renewing expiring contracts, updating pricing annually, monitor discount structures/tiers etc.).
- Required: Bachelor s degree in business or relevant technical discipline.
- Preferred: Master s Degree in relevant field and/or Juris Doctorate (JD)
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years in biotechnology/ pharmaceutical industry or equivalent experience. Minimum of 3 years direct experience in a clinical outsourcing/contracts function. Ideally, with direct engagement with CROs and other clinical suppliers. A combination of education and professional experience is acceptable to meet these requirements.
- None required, however a C.P.M., C.P.I.M., Project Management, Lean, Six Sigma, or other relevant certifications a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to lead the development of contract management processes.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with executives and senior leaders, both internally and externally.
- Excellent business/financial acumen, proficient in leading and managing cross-functional teams.
- Ability to lead, motivate, influence and drive change at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to understand the factors affecting the finances and/or operations of suppliers.
- Excellent global supplier management skills with ability foster and leverage professional relationships.
- Ability to identify and solve complex contractual, process, operational business challenges, and know when to seek assistance.
- Clear understanding of clinical R&D supplier and sponsor businesses, financial drivers, & competencies.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally 10-20% of the time.
The requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Refer to the Position Description Guide for more information on how to complete this section.
Office Position no travel Office Position with travel up to 10% - 20% of time
Sales Position Laboratory Position Position requiring Physical Labor
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Adhere to all company policies.
- Embrace the core competencies of the company.