Senior Histology Analyst
Orange County Metro Area, CA
- The Senior Histology Analyst is responsible for proficiently performing histological lab techniques in the non-clinical pathology research lab.
- This individual will provide histology support for the Non-Clinical and Translational Sciences Department.
- Functions include all phases of tissue preparation, including paraffin and frozen technique, routine H&E (Hematoxylin & Eosin) staining, special stains technique (histochemisty), basic and advanced immunohistochemistry, microscopy and image analysis.
- The Senior Histology Analyst is also responsible for specialized ocular tissue processing and sectioning techniques to support ophthalmic drug development.
Additional responsibilities include: the maintenance and operation of histology equipment; tracking, shipping and receiving histology samples, assisting in necropsy as needed, image analysis and working closely with colleagues to manage multiple projects.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaboration with pathology lab scientists, technicians and pathologists to perform routine histology sample preparation techniques with high quality. 50%
- Perform specialized histology techniques, such as ocular tissue trimming, embedding and sectioning, as well as frozen sectioning, etc. according to high quality standards. Training will be provided, if necessary. 20%
- Serve as primary contact with veterinary pathologist to manage study samples and slides. Ship, receive and track study samples in timely manner. 15%
- Preparation of reagents and solutions for fixation and stain techniques. Selection of appropriate materials and instrumentation from qualified suppliers.
- Operate, maintain, and manage schedule for shared laboratory/histology equipment (microtome, cryostat, tissue processor, embedding units, stainer/coverslipper, balances, incubator, waterbath, microscope, etc.) as required. 10%
- Follow Laboratory Safety Standards, proper Biohazard & Chemical Waste Disposal, and comply with appropriate standards. Adhere to company work standards and Code of Conduct. 5%
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS):
- The requirements described in this section are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. in Biology or related science required, M.S. or higher preferred, or equivalent experience considered.
- Technical Certification (HT, HTL, QIHC, or related) preferred
- 8-10 years histology laboratory experience, including histochemistry (Special Stains)
- 3-5 years immunohistochemistry experience or other advanced technical expertise
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies (includes Licenses, Credentials):
- Histology, Histochemistry (Special Stains) & Immunohistochemistry (IHC) Techniques
- Cell Biology and Tissue Structure knowledge
- Laboratory & Chemical safety, and Blood Borne Pathogens training
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook required;
- Organizational Skills; and the ability to organize and prioritize tasks/projects
- Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written with all levels of management, internal/external customers, vendors, and those of diverse cultures
- Leadership skills and experience
- Basic Mechanical skills and lifting up to 20 lbs
- Good visual skills, manual dexterity and eye-to-hand coordination
- Ability to follow and Work Instructions with attention to detail
- Strong math skills, aptitude for analysis, and technical writing
- Microscopic and Image analysis experience required
- Ocular tissue histology a plus