Senior Equipment and Automation Engineer
San Diego Metro Area, CA
- Work with consumable and assay development teams to define, develop, and implement new configurations of imaging and fluidics instrumentation.
- Define, execute and report to management on experiments and verification testing to ensure design changes to Array instrumentation meet external customer and manufacturing s needs,
- Documentation to support Development, Manufacturing and customer implementation.
- Support evaluation and selection of critical and/or customized equipment to support the company's Array Mfg. processes and customer-facing assay workflows,
- Ensure uptime of Instrumentation and equipment to meet product development timelines through proactive troubleshooting of instrumentation issues, implementation of solutions & best practices, and development of novel solutions where needed.
- Report out metrics on instrument status and proactivity look for opportunities to improve baseline equipment performance.
- Troubleshoot, as part of a team, escalated field issues with fluidics and imaging instrumentation used with company's array technologies, providing clear documentation to management on analysis, root cause determination, and potential fixes.
- Diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing various liquid handling robots, imaging and fluidic systems, which support both our product development and customer workflows.
- Bachelor s degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or related degree with at least 7 years applied experience with instrumentation maintenance, manufacturing and development (including control SW) ideally in the biotechnology/biomedical industry required.
- Master s degree in Electrical/Electronics/Mechanical engineering, instrumentation automation, Mechatronics or related degree with at least 5 years applied experience with instrumentation maintenance, manufacturing and development (including control SW) ideally in the biotechnology/biomedical industry required.
- Prior experience as an in house or field support /service or instrumentation manufacturing and test role required, ideally with experience with fluidics, optical scanning and low-voltage equipment.
- Working knowledge of robotics and other liquid handling components for laboratory automation, including technical understanding of pipetting and dispensing methods and techniques.
- Clear vision of, and proven examples of, commitment to providing outstanding customer service.
- Must exemplify skills of a highly motivated self-starter, with strong problem solving, networking and analytical abilities who is able to work independently and part of a team to ensure rapid troubleshooting, diagnosis and repair of the company's proprietary and third-party equipment.
- Proven ability to contribute to development, verification, and field service reports on instrument design, robustness and maintenance issues through the life cycle of company's propitiatory equipment.
- Demonstrated capability at building liquid automation protocols from supplier machine control software.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including experience writing technical documents such are verification reports, SOPs, and field support.
- Understanding of basic biology and chemistry lab workflows and implications of these on instrumentation.
- Working experience of GLP, GMP, ISO and clinical instrumentation a strong plus.
- Programming experience in C#, C++, and Java a plus.