Senior Associate Scientist
San Diego Metro Area, CA
The Structural and Chemical Biology department has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Associate Scientist in cell signaling and protein degradation. We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated individual to help our team design and analyze the activity of a library of engineered proteins using biochemical and/or cell-based strategies.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. IMPORTANT: Protein purification from E. Coli.
2. IMPORTANT: Development and implementation of biochemical assays for purified proteins.
3. Development and implementation of cell-based assays to assess the activity of signaling pathways.
4. Analysis of structure and activity relationships in engineered proteins.
5. Clearly communicate results/data at project team meetings.
6. Maintaining an accurate and well-organized scientific notebook.
Construct design and protein expression in bacteria.
Knowledge of protein purification strategies (i.e. affinity, ion-exchange, SEC) and the use of AKTA purifiers.
Common methods for the analysis of purified proteins including SDS-PAGE and western blotting.
Preparation of human tissue culture extracts and their anaylsis using western blotting and other standard molecular techniques. Experience with human tissue culture a plus.
Optimization and analysis of complex cell-based and/or biochemical assays.
Experience interrogating small molecule-protein interactions.
Knoweledge of high-throughput screening technologies a plus.
Bachelor s degree in a scientific discipline with at least 8 years work experience or Master s degree with at least 6 years work experience.