San Diego Metro Area, CA
The Disease Biology Group in the Protein Homeostasis Thematic Center of Excellence (PH TCoE) focuses on delivering novel cancer therapeutics by engaging E3 ubiquitin ligases for targeted protein degradation. We are seeking a highly motivated independent PhD Scientist II to lead the development and implementation of assays and models to drive drug discovery in oncology and hematological diseases. The successful candidate will work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment to 1) develop and implement robust cellular assays to support discovery of small molecules as clinical development candidates for treating hemoglobinopathies and other hematological diseases; 2) design and execute key studies to understand disease biology and elucidate mechanism of action at molecular and cellular level; and 3) support drug discovery projects. The successful candidate will work within discovery project teams and with scientists across different functional areas and be expected to present her or his work at project team meetings and to senior research leadership.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
1. Develop and implement relevant cell based assays to support identification, optimization, and characterization of novel chemical matter
2. Design and conduct essential mechanistic experiments in cell biology, cellular biochemistry, molecular biology, and assay development
3. Critically analyze and interpret complex data and present results in an organized and timely manner
4. Work within and support biology needs for cross-functional drug discovery teams
5. Lead and influence scientific direction of drug discovery teams; conduct own experiments, and supervise associate scientists.
1. Previous hands-on experience with various molecular and cellular technologies including, but not limited to, quantitative PCR, immunofluorescence and manipulation/editing of gene/message/protein via RNAi and/or CRISPR methods is required. Experience in mammalian cell culture models including primary cell culture and flow cytometry analysis and FACS required.
2. Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills are required.
3. Data analysis skills and experience with a variety of scientific software applications are required.
4. Capability to stay focused and deliver high quality data in a timely and well organized manner.
5. Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic team environment; flexibility to adapt to changes with a positive attitude.
6. Team leadership skills are required.
Ph.D. with at least 4 years of work experience, preferred. Bachelor s degree in a scientific discipline with at least 12 years work experience, or Master s degree with 10 years work experience.