Research Associate - Protein Purification
San Mateo Metro Area, CA
Summary and Essential Functions:
The candidate will perform the purification of a recombinant protein. Purification will be performed using a combination of chromatography, filtration, and buffer exchange methods. Characterization of the protein will utilize a variety of analytical techniques including SEC-HPLC, UV spectrophotometry, AKTA FPLC, SDS-PAGE, etc.
The successful candidate will be expected to execute the purification procedures with minimal supervision. Responsibilities will also include buffer preparation, record management and material tracking, general laboratory maintenance including but not limited to purchasing of consumables and reagents, proper lab safety procedures and proper waste disposal.
- Bachelor s Degree in Chemistry with 2+ years relevant industrial experience (Pharma / Biotech / Chemical Engineering), OR Master s Degree in Chemical Engineering / Biochemistry with 1+ years industrial experience. Ideal candidate will have solid understanding of bioprocessing and chemistry principles and significant laboratory experience. Previous experience in performing recombinant protein purification is a plus
- Experience with laboratory-scale purification methods including liquid chromatography systems, filtration, and dialysis / diafiltration. Direct experience operating Akta Explorer or Akta Avant is a plus
- Working knowledge of analytical methods including SEC- HPLC, colorimetric assays, SDS-PAGE, UV-Vis spectrophotometry.
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written formats
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment and collaborate effectively with other team members.