Research Associate - Assay Development, Sequencing
San Jose Metro Area, CA
A nanopore-based sequencing company dedicated to making genetic testing easy and affordable. We are developing a revolutionary, low cost and portable sequencing system that can be used to improve the lives of people in a wide variety of applications, including the timely screening of newborns for diseases and the diagnosis of cancers and infectious diseases.
The Applications and Sequencing Prep group at RSS is looking for a motivated and team-oriented individual who is passionate about revolutionary sequencing technology. The Scientist will provide scientific excellence and guidance in sample preparation for the nanopore platform. The candidate will contribute to the optimization and development of sample preparation protocols that enable sequencing-based assays in a wide variety of applications. The candidate must be self-motivated, but also be able to work well in a team and with multiple lab groups.
- Optimize workflows and reaction conditions for library and sequencing preparation protocols, to meet system performance specifications.
- Perform hands-on assay development in a fast-paced environment
- Perform analysis of experimental results.
- Characterize assays on the RSS Nanopore sequencing platform
- Work using best laboratory practices, maintaining well-organized and concise records of worked performed and results.
- Bachelors in molecular biology, biology, cellular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or a related discipline preferred. Masters preferred. Laboratory experience in a fast paced environment a distinct plus
- Extensive experience running and debugging protocols and performing DNA, RNA, and Protein manipulations
- Demonstrated expertise in optimization of molecular biology reactions, including nucleic acid isolation, fragmentation, purification, enrichment, ligation, and barcoding
- Experience with a wide variety of laboratory molecular biology techniques; gel analysis, western and southern blots, PCR, qPCR, nucleic acid and protein quantitation
- Experience with computer databases, statistical software (JMP, Matlab), or computer programming languages (Python, R.) preferred
- Outstanding lab bench skills and proven trouble shooting skills
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated critical thinking
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent written and electronic record keeping skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills