Research Associate, Cell Biology
San Diego Metro Area, CA
We are seeking an experienced in vivo research associate to support the discovery and development of new drugs targeting immune cells for immune-oncology indications. Ideal candidates must be skilled in animal handling (mice) including drug administration by multiple routes , tumor implanting and tissue harvesting and have extensive in vitro studies experience in the area of immunology and oncology. The candidate should have a good understanding of experimental designs and be able to execute and interpret them with minimal amount of training and supervision. The individual should be very detail oriented in executing the experiments and in data acquisition and analysis. The candidate should be familiar with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and GraphPad prism and have excellent written and oral communication as well as interpersonal skills to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented drug discovery environment
The successful applicant will have a strong background in T-cell based immunological assays and will be able to design and execute a variety of in vitro assays primarily with immune cells and cancer cell lines. Successful candidate must be very familiar with flow cytometry, have hands-on experience with ELISAs, mesoscale, western blots, isolating DNA/RNA and qPCR. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with discovery project teams and scientists and to present his or her work at project team meetings and to the senior research leadership. Industry experience is preferred but not essential.
RESPONSIBILITIES (will include, but are not limited to):
- Plan and execute scientific experiments independently
- Perform in vivo experiments with animal tumor models.
- Collect and process tissues such as lymph nodes, spleens, blood, urine and tumors
- Isolate of primary cell populations using beads based or flow cytometry sorting techniques
- Perform mechanistic and phenotypic cellular assays. Assays include proliferation, cytokine secretion, cytotoxicity and flow cytometry based characterization.
- Maintain primary and cancer cell lines and conduct routine cell culture tasks
- Evaluation of pathway biomarkers and endpoints from in vivo studies via techniques such as qPCR, ELISA, flow cytometry, Mesoscale and Western blots.
- Analyze, interpret and present scientific data
- Accurately maintain written reports and organize data
- Review current literature pertaining to relevant projects
1. Bachelor s degree with 4 years industry experience or Master s degree in Cell Biology, Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology or Immunology with 2 years industry experience.
2. Extensive experience with vivo studies that include measuring tumors, dosing animals (po, ip and iv), blood sampling, minor surgical procedures , tissue harvesting and tumor implanting
3. Experience with cell culturing, primary immune cell assays and immune-oncology assay is required.
4. A solid understanding of basic T-cell biology and general immunology.
5. Experience with flow cytometry
6. Expertise with a variety of cell-based assay technologies including antibody-based detection methods (e.g. Western, ELISA, MSD, Luminex, immunoprecipitation), cell imaging (immunofluorescence) and qPCR.
7. Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills are required as well as the ability to independently design, execute, and trouble-shoot experiments through completion.
8. Data analysis skills and experience with a variety of scientific software applications are required.
9. The successful candidate will be an ambitious self-starter, be motivated to apply his/her skills to meet diverse project needs, and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic team environment.