Protein Purification Scientist
San Diego Metro Area, CA
- Responsible for manufacturing product(s) in a lab setting following standard operating procedures. Will utilize basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping necessary to manufacture products.
- Will perform column purification/ chromatography, buffer preparation, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques.
- Responsible for Batch Data Records, notebooks, customer reports and work order documents.
- Utilize specialized technical knowledge and skills to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure within operating parameters. Advise manager of factors that may affect quality of product. Suggest options/ideas for corrective actions.
- Maintain equipment, product inventories and related records as assigned. Note variances on manufacturing documents; audit and evaluate process documents and propose revisions. Complete, distribute and file records as required in accordance with Document Control Practices.
- Identify potential issues in the production process; report findings to team management and members for resolution or participate in troubleshooting.
- Write technical documents which may include standard operating procedures and batch records. * May lead process improvement projects or product transfer projects
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Must have a bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline. Masters degree is a plus.
- Requires a minimum of 4 years relevant protein purification experience demonstrating laboratory techniques in a manufacturing environment or research laboratory.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of scientific laboratory techniques, equipment and materials required. Experience in the use of basic laboratory techniques, including buffer preparation, column purification/ chromatography, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques are beneficial.
- Proficient with GE AKTA FPLC protein chromatography equipment and Unicorn software, or equivalent FPLC platform.
- Experience with different modes of chromatography such as: affinity, ion-exchange, size exclusion, hydrophobic interaction
- Lifting up to 35 lbs will be required on a frequent basis.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties and daily work in +4C Cold Room.
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed. * Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials. Preferred Qualifications (nice to have):
- Consistent, dependable and accurate in carrying out responsibilities
- Displays positive attitude toward job and others
- Follows and provides direction accurately and efficiently
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out scientific procedures and make recommendations for improvement required.
- Good problem solving skills necessary.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing related computer software preferred.
- Intermediate Excel skills