Orange County Metro Area, CA
Lake Forest, CA
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the design and development of electromechanical devices used in ophthalmic surgical suite. The engineer has in-depth knowledge of mechanical design and fabrication techniques such as plastic injection molding, sheet metal & CNC machining for small to mid-size parts in low to medium volumes. The Mechanical Engineer will be involved in various product development phases mainly focusing on design & development activities.
- Responsible for electromechanical design, from design through production release, of a module or sub-assembly used in ophthalmic surgical console used in cataract or retinal procedures.
- Proficiency in fabrication processes like, injection molding, CNC machining and sheet metal.
- Creative thinker capable of designing mechanical packaging and mounting of electronic assemblies considering required creepage, clearance and thermal requirements.
- Experience working with electronic components, sub-assemblies and printed circuit boards.
- Experience in connector selection and designing cable assemblies and drawings using CREO.
- Capable of designing product packaging with consideration for low manufacturing cost, low material costs, serviceability and reliability.
- Work with external molding vendors to refine the part design, material selection, create detailed technical drawings, specify GD&T, critical dimensions, perform stack up & design optimization.
- Assume ownership to discuss & address DFM, DFA, optimization, cost, lead time, prototype samples, FAI & logistics to ensure alignment with project schedule.
- Support all aspects of design documentation and design control in alignment with company policies, procedures & SOP s.
- Promote parts, assemblies through various stages, manage technical changes, BOM updates & documentation changes as necessary through engineering change request (ECN).
- Lead assembly & test fixture design & detailing to support manufacturing and product testing effort.
- Provide R&D support to manufacturing team to assist in documentation & procurement
- Advanced technical degree.
- Experience with Windchill PLM & SAP ERP is a plus.
- Knowledge of all regulatory, quality and safety requirements relevant to optical medical devices is considered a plus.
- Bachelor s Degree or Equivalent years of directly related experience (or high school +8 yrs; Assoc.+4 yrs)
- The ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English