Cell Biologist/Molecular Biologist - Scientist
San Diego Metro Area, CA
This scientist will support a team that develops next-generation solutions and integrated applications using a wide array of products to support customer driven projects. The work will support three principal activities: to develop new tools and solutions pertaining to drug discovery, to exemplify how to use our tools to ask broad scientific questions, to participate in external collaborations and to create customized solutions for our clients. The scientist will be expected to both execute projects independently or with minimal supervision and to support senior scientists in a highly collaborative team environment.
Projects may include, but not be limited to, stem cell characterization using a variety of microarray and qPCR based methods, cell line engineering, tissue culture, molecular biology and virus generation. These projects may be driven by internal project design or by external collaborations.
Scope of Need
The successful individual will directly interact with junior and senior R&D staff, project management and external collaborators to understand or develop workplans. The scientist will then be responsible for executing plans either independently or as part of a team in order to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. Designated activities will require a certain level of independence but may also be in support of senior scientists. In addition, this scientist will be expected to participate in laboratory maintenance.
This role will involve the following tasks:
- Lab maintenance (ordering, instrument maintenance, lab organization)
- Stem cell characterization (qPCR and microarray analysis of cells)
- Tissue culture (culture of many cell types, 2D and 3D)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection and antibiotic-selection)
- Molecular biology (Plasmid subcloning and TaqMan PCR)
- Stem cell culture (feeding, passaging and cryopreservation)
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
- Proven experience:
- Molecular biology techniques including DNA/RNA extraction and microarray based techniques.
- Manipulating DNA plasmid constructs and with various forms of PCR
- Sterile tissue culture techniques
- Additional experience (not required, but good to have):
- Stem cell culture
- Cell line engineering
- Virus generation
- Ability to:
- Observe deviations from the expected outcomes
- Succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
- Strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable influence/interpersonal skills