Research Associate Scientist, Next Generation Sequencing
San Diego Metro Area, California
The successful candidate will support drug discovery projects in cancer and inflammatory disease. Specifically, he/she will work within our next generation sequencing (NGS) group and be responsible for preparing libraries for NGS studies.
1. Proficiency in generating libraries for sequencing experiments, including running protocols and quality control methods.
2. Trouble-shoot and optimize sequencing protocols.
3. Assist in developing new NGS protocols.
4. Accurately maintain written reports and organize data.
5. Review current literature pertaining to NGS technology, oncology, epigenetics, and related assays.
1.Experience in library preparation protocols including, but not limited to, Illumina, KAPA, and Clontech.
2. Knowledge of current NGS technology on Illumina platforms (NextSeq and HiSeq).
3. Experience in operating and maintaining NGS equipment is a plus (Illumina preferred).
4. Highly motivated, organized, capable of multitasking, intense attention to detail, and innovative.
5. Excellent time management and organizational skills, strong written and oral communication skills, is a team player, and is able to think creatively and solve problems.
6. Bachelor s degree in a scientific discipline with at least 2 years work experience.
Ability to write protocols and technical reports with precision.
Contributes to design of experiments.
Broadening knowledge and technical skills to increase the department s productivity.
Reviewing literature to get background of a project.
Convey data analysis and interpretation to supervisor and colleagues with clarity and a high level of accuracy.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Assist senior researchers in executing, conducting analysis and reporting results.
Familiarity with literature and internal best practices to identify opportunities to improve productivity and quality of work.
Interprets data, troubleshoots, and recommends corrective actions for routine problems.
Works relatively independently on assigned tasks.
Makes suggestions on improvements to existing tasks.
Assists colleagues on their field of expertise.
Creativity and Problem Solving:
Goes beyond following procedures by seeking opportunities to improve efficiency and productivity.
Fixes unexpected potential problems.
Scientist at this level will differentiate themselves by creativity and innovation.
Teamwork and Influence:
Communicates with peers and supervisors.
Contributes to the achievement of workgroup/team goals.
Contributes to some collaborative efforts.
Has a direct impact on workgroup performance.
Impact is achieved by driving workgroup results.
Commitment to quality Demonstrates adaptability
Develops oneself Drive for results
Effective speaking Fosters teamwork
Listens to others Prepares written communications
Shows work commitment Uses functional/technical expertise