Clinical Lab Scientist / Clinical Genetics and Molecular Biology
San Mateo Metro Area, California
Third Shift and Part Time positions available
Working shift: 11pm - 7:30am
The Clinical Lab Scientist 1 is responsible for testing and reporting clinical laboratory results, as well as providing direct and constant supervision for the Clinical Laboratory Technicians (CLTs).
- Performs and reports laboratory testing on clinical laboratory samples used to aide physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Evaluates results for Quality Control materials used in statistical process control of laboratory assays.
- Responsible for maintaining updated understanding and knowledge of the methods employed in the laboratory and the use of the resulting information by physicians through continuing education activities.
- May be required to provide direct and constant supervision of non-licensed personnel. The testing personnel are responsible for specimen processing, test performance and for reporting test results.
- Other duties as assigned
- Each individual performs only those high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training or experience, and technical abilities.
- Each individual performing high complexity testing must
- Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results;
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens;
- Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed;
- Follow the laboratory s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance;
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and immediately notify the Lead Clinical Lab Scientist, General Supervisor, Technical Supervisor, Clinical Consultant, or Lab Director;
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory s established performance specifications
- Current California CLS license
- Experience in a clinical laboratory setting; preferably with experience in a high complexity molecular testing environment. Duration of experience- 6 months preferred but not required.
- Ability to read, understand, and comply with detailed procedures that ensure the safety of all
- Must be flexible to work different shifts, such as weekends and evenings
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize duties to meet timelines
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills are essential
- Detail-oriented and conscientious